Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bringing up a new cape for the Beaglebone Black, i2c-1 is actually I2C2


Dual Motor Controller Cape on top of Beaglebone Black!
I am currently trying to bring up the Dual Motor Controller Cape on the brand new Beaglebone Black, and finding out the gotchas along the way.

First off, when I attempted to find all the i2c interfaces using i2cdetect, I got the following screen:


Where is I2C2 ??  The Beaglebone is supposed to have 3 I2C interfaces, and I2C2 is supposed to be the one connected to the EEPROM of the capes.

Fortunately, with help from panto on the IRC channel (freenode/#beagle), I found out that i2c-1 is actually I2C2.   Executing the command 'i2cdetect -r 1' and monitoring on the scope actually proves that i2c-1 is actually I2C2!


I2C2 SDA and SCLK


1 comment:

  1. But then if I2C2 is /dev/i2c-1, where will I2C1 be?
    Why would the developers have done this?
    (I remember that on the White BB the third bus i.e. I2C2, was a 1.8V bus, but it doesn't seem to be the same for the Black BB, hopefully)

    Btw, this is the type of post that the BeagleBone community needs but unfortunately there aren't many!

    ReplyDelete